After an eternity of spending every
night out in hats and scarves stuck broiling under the heaters
outside Picasso bar like a sardine sizzling on an espeto, yesterday
gave us the first warm, balmy evening in forever. It was a night that
promised music! Romance! The soft breeze encircled my shoulders,
brushed my ears and whispered adventure! In any case, I was free and
alone, I didn’t have to get up for work in the morning, I didn’t
just want to go home, so I just wandered around the city wherever my
feet took me.
After tapas and red wine at BodequitaEl Gallo on Calle San Agustin (meatballs in a peppery almond sauce, little sausages steeped in white wine and garlic, cobbled stones and a view of the cathedral on the prettiest little street in Malaga); after drinking a bowl of red wine for a mere 1.30E while listening to a hipster guy with a beard playing beautiful classical Spanish guitar at Casa Diego on Calle Santa Maria – I found myself drifting past the cathedral along Calle Cister, past the saxophonist and his long lonely notes of ‘La Vie en Rose’ alternating with ‘Strangers in the Night’ for all eternity, past the gardens of orange trees and statues until I arrived at El Jardin, where I opened one white wooden door, slipped inside and was magically transported to the 1930s.
Inside was an elegant hall with long
rose-pink walls, French windows, dark wooden fans and a long trail of
leaves dripping from the ceiling. In the midst of this were at least
fifteen couples moving across the floor to heartbreaking old tunes in
a dream of tango. I perched myself on a stool at the end of the bar
with a glass of red, studiously avoided making eye contact with the
guy with the giant afro opposite and fell into a sentimental reverie
with a huge glazed smile on my face.
Who could I share this place with, who?
It occurred to me that I didn’t know a single person who would
appreciate the place as much as I did. I wished I could whizz back in
time and find my 21 year old self, chain-smoking on a park bench in
East Finchley in a see-through petticoat worn as outerwear and a
brown fake fur coat, and whisk her here to share a drink with me. She
would love it! Then I looked at all the men and women rotating slowly
across the floor. Where did the women find these marvellous
men, these men who despite being bald and pretty ordinary-looking,
knew how to hold a woman in their arms and lead her across a
dancefloor? Why hadn’t I ever found a man like that? Why was
my life so devoid of romance and mystery and sexy Argentinian dances?
My sentimentality was wobbling towards maudlinness. Then two English
girls came in with a Spanish guy and their attention was caught by
something above my head.
‘Mira! Esta Grant y Phil Mitchell!’
‘Ahh! Estan muy famosos en
Inglaterra!’
I turned around to discover that I had
been having some kind of sentimental meltdown (a sentimeltdown!)
under a framed photo of the Mitchell brothers. This brought me down
to earth a bit.
But, Eastenders icons notwithstanding, the evening
still had the feeling of being enveloped in a lovely dream. If you
ever want to dance the tango, time travel to the 1930s, or to check
out a fetching portrait of Walford’s favourite twins, then visit El
Jardin from 21.30 todos los jueves, ladies and gentlemen.





No comments:
Post a Comment